I am running to become the next Area 4 Trustee on the San Mateo County Board of Education in the November 3, 2020 countywide election because I believe that we can, as a Countywide community, provide more equitable educational opportunities and improved outcomes for students across San Mateo County.
I will bring new ideas and energy to this Board, as I have relevant experience* and have devoted my life to education and leadership in our San Mateo County communities.
I have been appointed to a number of leadership roles based upon my commitment to the community and my experience, and I have built strong relationships across the County.
I would be honored to have your support and your vote in this election.
Please feel free to contact me any time at 415.531.0508 or email@example.com.
I hope that you and your family are well and safe during this COVID-19 pandemic.
All my best,
Chelsea is an advocate for education, housing, mental health awareness, disability rights and inclusive communities. Chelsea was a kindergarten and first grade teacher in the mid-90’s and began practicing law in 2001. In 2018, Chelsea co-founded Not Without Us, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation dedicated to achieving equality for all children and adults with disabilities by and through trainings and tools to increase participation at all levels of democracy, including elected roles, to promote advocacy for shared knowledge of rights & responsibilities and equal systems of opportunity and justice. Chelsea has served a term as a School Board Trustee, she now sits on the San Mateo County Commission on Disabilities, and she is currently a candidate for the San Mateo County Board of Education.
NEWS & UPDATES!!
We had a successful fundraiser event on 9.16.20! Thanks to so many supporters joining us to show their support for this important race!
"With great enthusiasm, I endorse Chelsea Bonini for San Mateo County Board of Education. She has been and continues to be a warrior for children and their education. She is bright, hard working and has high standards. As a product of San Mateo County schools myself and the first in my direct line to graduate from college, I believe that the most important possession you can have is an education. And when I was sworn in as the first, still the only, female CA State Superintendent of Public Instruction, I chose my elementary school in San Mateo County for the ceremony. Chelsea was a terrific School Board Trustee for the San Mateo-Foster City School District, and she will always put your children first as a Trustee for the San Mateo County Board of Education. I ask for your support. She is the best candidate!" Delaine Eastin, Former California State Superintendent of Schools, Assembly Woman & Gubernatorial Candidate
"Chelsea has been a tireless leader and advocate for kids in San Mateo County. As an educator, a School Board trustee, a County commissioner, an attorney and an always active volunteer, her passion and dedication for building relationships, improving community-school connections and advocating for systems that champion the success of all kids is unparalleled. Chelsea has my unwavering support in the 2020 race for San Mateo County Board of Education." David Canepa, San Mateo County Supervisor, District 5
Find more information about Chelsea at:
*Experience as a Board Trustee in the San Mateo-Foster City School District... all of this in a single term! I am proud to have worked effectively with our governance team in:
- Supporting the completion & opening of new school buildings approved through 2009’s Measure L Bond.
- Participating in & supporting the SMCOE/San Mateo County's BIG LIFT Initiative development & rollout.
- Supporting the SMCOE’s iZone partnership with Full Circle Fund.
- Approving District-funded Music Programming at all schools.
- Approving District-funded Physical Education, including funded-collaboration with Para-educators.
- Approving the rollout of Breakfast/Brunch service, Salad Bars and Summer Meal Service.
- Approving the installation of new, safe playground equipment & lunch shade structures, using Measure L funds.
- Developing a new process for ongoing evaluation of Superintendent.
- Participating in a vast community engagement process to arrive at ONE calendar for our entire District.
- Supporting needs assessment and realignment of the Montessori Program.
- Participating in the successful completion of the Next Steps Committee’s process for community engagement post-2013’s failed Measure P Bond.
- Campaigning for the successful passage of the Measure X Bond in 2015.
- Continually focusing on equity in all aspects of governance for the District, including budgeting, program focus, and in setting goals for Superintendent focusing on academic excellence and wellbeing of all students.
- Supporting the transition of Horrall Elementary to LEAD Elementary.
- Hiring of a new Superintendent in 2015.
- Supporting a more extensive roll-out of community engagement practices for the LCAP.
- Supporting the creation of Common Core Math Pathways to the High School District & later expansion thereof, including appeal procedures and equity-responsive practices, following extensive community engagement.
- Supporting the processes for multiple schools to become and continuing being designated as “California Distinguished Schools.”
- Completing the California School Boards Association’s “Masters in Governance” program.
- Serving on the Executive Board for the San Mateo County School Boards Association.
- Being appointed to serve as a CSBA Regional Delegate.
- Serving as Chair for the SMCSBA’s Kent Awards from 2015-2017.
- Campaigning for the passage of the Measure Y Parcel Tax renewal in 2016-17, even though it was just shy of passing... helped campaign post-Trustee term in 2018 for the passage of Measure V & ran a Measure V Postcard Campaign with my new co-founded nonprofit snkids.org (now, Not Without Us)
- Meeting with parents, teachers, administrators, public officials and City and County leaders regularly.
- Improving relations and connections with both San Mateo and Foster City Councils.
- Serving in multiple liaison capacities for community building throughout our Cities and the entire County.