I am committed to ensuring that schools are welcoming, valued & community-connected resources AND building countywide momentum to enhance and leverage school resources & supports to provide an outstanding and challenging education for every child in San Mateo County!
Supportive communities and strong education systems go hand in hand.
My priorities include:
- Countywide collaboration for more equitable funding for our Districts, with a specific focus on teacher & staff retention
- Countywide focus on collaborative funding for teacher/workforce housing (Supporting & extending the work of Home for All Educator and Workforce Housing Taskforce on this front and the impact of AB 2852, which will hopefully successfully find its way through the legislature this year)
Drawing by Alfred Twu, 5/7/20
- Ensuring FAPE for all students with disabilities
- Ensuring accountability for providing mental health supports and services for kids pursuant to *AB 114 *With the passage of AB 114 in 2011, it was clear that school districts were solely responsible for ensuring that students with disabilities receive Educationally Related Mental Health Services (ERMHS), including some services previously arranged for or provided by county mental health agencies.
CDE, Stakeholder Presentation, 9/23/11
- Disruption of the school-to-prison pipeline & policies underlying this trend and our juvenile justice system
I have worked to address these issues as an educator, a PTA leader, a Board Member in the San Mateo-Foster City School District, a non-profit founder, a member of Legislative and Countywide Education and Housing Advisory committees and task forces, and as a County Commissioner, and I would be honored to have your support to continue this work as a member of the San Mateo County Board of Education.